Men are more than twice as likely as women to abuse drugs and alcohol. Often times the causes that lead men towards substance abuse can be different than they are for women, which makes gender specific treatment beneficial in many cases. Colorado has multiple men’s drug and alcohol rehab programs which help men overcome their substance abuse issues.
These men’s only rehab facilities specialize their forms of treatment to address specific issues that predominately impact men when they are struggling with substance abuse. They also remove some of the distractions and potential stumbling blocks for men who are in treatment and early in recovery.
Treatment Designed for Men
Substance abuse affects men differently than it does women. Men tend to enter treatment later than women do, meaning that when they do get help for their addiction or alcoholism, their disease is more advanced. Men’s drug and alcohol rehab facilities in Colorado take this fact into account and their treatment programs are designed to treat the disease of addiction at all levels of severity.
There are also various social factors which can differentiate treatment for men and women. Men tend to feel the need to portray a strong image to the opposite sex, which can impede their progress in treatment at a facility that treats both men and women.
Relationships with the opposite sex is also a common issue which can negatively impact the effectiveness of treatment for men. Whether in a treatment facility or in early recovery after leaving a co-ed treatment facility, these unstable romantic relationships can quickly lead to relapse for many men. This issue is mostly eliminated in a men’s only drug and alcohol rehab facility.
Types of Men’s Only Rehabs
Understanding the different types of men’s drug and alcohol rehab facilities in Colorado is important in order to make an informed decision about what program is going to be the best for you or your loved one. These are the two main forms of men’s drug and alcohol rehab:
Inpatient rehab facilities are often the most effective form of men’s drug and alcohol treatment. They allow the patient to focus specifically on their recovery in a safe and structured environment, removed from the stresses and temptations of their normal living environment.
Inpatient men’s drug and alcohol rehab centers in Colorado have licensed counselors and experienced staff available to work with patients at any time of the day, which is often critical in addressing issues that can arise in the first few months of recovery.
Outpatient men’s drug and alcohol rehab programs allow men to treat their substance abuse while still living either at home or a sober living home and still take care of many of the responsibilities they can have such as work, family or school.
Outpatient programs typically meet anywhere from 2-5 days a week for anywhere from 3-8 hours. Their programs are usually run by licensed counselors and consist of a combination of group and individual therapy.
While outpatient programs may seem more convenient, they are not always the best fit for everyone. Things like the stability of the patients’ living environment and family support system are both extremely important to consider before deciding on a specific type of treatment.
Choosing a Colorado Men’s Only Rehab
Colorado has many men’s drug and alcohol rehab centers, but it is important to know what to look for before making a final decision on which one you or your loved one should attend. Here are some things to consider before choosing a men’s drug and alcohol rehab facility:
- How long is the program? Everyone has different needs in their journey towards recovery. The length of time someone spends in treatment can often times have a huge impact on their overall chances of life-long sobriety.
- Does the program accept your insurance? If you have medical insurance, it is important to make sure that the program you attend is able to accept it. Not all facilities are able to accept all forms of medical insurance.
- Is the facility accredited? The best men’s drug and alcohol facilities in Colorado are accredited by at least one of the independent organizations such as the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JACHO) or the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF). These organizations do an extensive review of the facility, their procedures and staff to make sure that they meet certain high standards.
- What accommodations are offered? The accommodations at men’s drug and alcohol rehab facilities can vary quite a bit. While some facilities offer things like private rooms, cable television, and Wi-Fi, other facilities may have as many as 6 men in a single bedroom and offer little to no other amenities.
- What forms of treatment are offered? Many facilities specialize in certain types of treatment, some of which may be more beneficial to the patient than others. While some facilities may specialize in those with co-occurring disorders such as anxiety and depression, others may only treat substance abuse itself. These factors are important to consider to make sure that the specific needs of the patient are being met and nothing is being neglected. Untreated psychological issues are one of the biggest contributors to relapse in early recovery.
Get Help Finding a Facility
Once you or your loved one has made the decision to get help, the next step is finding the best place to get that help. With the large number of different types of men’s drug and alcohol rehab facilities in Colorado, it can often be difficult for families or individuals to make the best decision on what program is best. Choosing the right facility is a crucial one in an individual’s journey towards sobriety.
Finding help can be a stressful and frustrating time if attempted without the help of those who know what to look for. Here at Sober Times, we have a team of professionals who are available 24-hours a day that can help assess your situation and make sure that you choose the best facility available.