Substance abuse impacts people from all walks of life, including those who have strong religious and spiritual beliefs. For many of these people, addiction and alcoholism can be filled with the guilt and shame that society, as well as their faith, can bring. Faith-based treatment centers in Colorado offer a supportive and caring environment where those who struggle with addiction can utilize their faith to overcome their substance abuse issues.
Because most traditional treatment centers do not incorporate a strong spiritual or religious component into their programs, patients with strong spiritual beliefs may feel that they may not be as effective at treating their addiction as a faith-based program. Faith-based treatment centers usually incorporate many of the same treatment methods as these traditional centers while also including the strong religious and spiritual component, offering the greatest chance of recovery for many addicts and alcoholics with a strong faith.
More About Colorado Faith-Based Treatment Centers
Faith-based treatment centers take a spiritual and religious approach to treating substance abuse. Their programs are based on the concept that people turn to drugs and alcohol to fill a spiritual void that can be left when a person neglects his or her faith. Therefore, the treatment at these facilities is strongly focused on helping a person re-connect with their faith and strengthen their relationship with God or another higher power in order to fill the void that has caused the patient to turn to drugs and alcohol.
Colorado faith-based treatment centers are a very popular option for the treatment of drug and alcohol addiction. A large majority of Americans practice some sort of organized religion and say faith is an important aspect of their lives. These people typically find the comfort and community that is offered at a faith-based treatment center to be exactly what they are looking for in a program to help them overcome their addictions.
What do Faith-Based Treatment Centers Offer?
While every facility is a little different, most faith-based treatment centers offer a combination of treatments based on their specific faith along with more traditional non-spiritual recovery treatments. The combination of these two things has proven to be extremely effective at helping those with strong faith to overcome their issues with substance abuse. Most faith-based programs offer some or all of the following forms of treatment:
- Education of spiritual and religious principles.
- Development of connecting with and maintaining a relationship with God or another higher power.
- Religious study and prayer.
- Personal counseling from religious officials such as priests, ministers or rabbis.
- Education on drug addiction and alcoholism.
- Individual and group sessions with a licensed counselor.
- Medically assisted detox.
- Life-skills training.
- Aftercare and relapse prevention training.
Faith-Based Treatment for Other Issues
Because faith-based treatment centers in Colorado believe that addiction is caused by a spiritual void, most programs are also able to treat other addictive and destructive behaviors that can also be brought on by this lack of a spiritual connection. Unlike traditional facilities which typically only offer treatment for substance abuse, faith-based treatment centers can also help with things like:
- Sex addiction
- Gambling addiction
- Eating disorders
- Shopping addiction
Whether these issues are occurring in addition to substance abuse or on their own, the spiritual foundations that faith-based treatment centers are built on can help individuals overcome them by connecting them with their specific faith and higher power.
What to Look for in a Colorado Faith-Based Treatment Center
Faith-based treatment centers in Colorado vary in their specific faiths as well as the forms of treatments that they offer. If you or your loved one has decided they are ready to get help with their addiction and are interested in attending a faith-based treatment program, it is important to consider a few things before making a final decision on one. Here are some things to ask before choosing a facility:
- What specific faith does the program follow? There are treatment programs which are based on most religious beliefs.
- Are leaders from the religious community closely involved in the treatment? Many faith-based programs have religious leaders as part of the staff or have volunteers from local religious institutions visit with patients on a regular basis to strengthen their spiritual connection.
- How long is the program? Typical faith-based treatment programs last between 30 and 90 days, but longer lengths of stay may be available at some programs.
- What specific rules and expectations are there for patients of the program? Some programs may require that their patients refrain from things like consuming nicotine.
- What sort of living arrangements/accommodations are provided? Living arrangements at faith-based programs can range from individual rooms to shared accommodations with 3-4 patients per room.
- Does the program offer treatment from licensed addiction counselors? In addition to religious teachings, individual counseling sessions from licensed substance abuse counselors can be very helpful for many patients.
- Does the program have the capability to assist with detox? Medical detox is usually necessary for those who struggle with abuse of alcohol, opiates and other prescription drugs.
- Is there an extensive faith-based aftercare program included? Continued treatment after inpatient programs is extremely important to preventing relapse and can range from outpatient classes to individual counseling and religious study groups.
Get Help Finding a Colorado Faith-Based Treatment Center
Deciding to get help at a faith-based treatment center is the first step in a long journey toward recovery. Once deciding on a faith-based treatment program, it is important to make sure that you or your loved one find the right program to fit their needs. Here at Sober Times, we have trained professionals who are available to assist you in finding a Colorado faith-based treatment center 24-hours a day.
Our team is well informed on all of the faith based treatment facilities in the Colorado area and can find the best program to match your specific beliefs and situation.